Sunday, July 17, 2011

World's top two crash out as Clarke leads way at Sandwich

Lee Westwood Open cut Lee Westwood left the course without facing the media after finishing four over par at the Open. Photograph: Andrew Redington/Getty Images

The world's top two players, Luke Donald and Lee Westwood, were the most high-profile casualties of a compelling day at the Open Championship that ended with five of the top 10 missing the cut.

Donald, the world No1, dropped four shots in the closing four holes in slumping to a second-round 75 for an aggregate of six over, three more than qualified for the weekend. Earlier his fellow Englishman Westwood had signed for a 73, thereby missing out on the third and fourth rounds by a stroke.

Both had been strongly tipped to end their search for a first major victory but they will be onlookers as the leaders, Darren Clarke and Lucas Glover, head into the third round. Clarke and Glover are tied at four under par, one shot clear of Chad Campbell, Martin Kaymer, Thomas Bjorn and Miguel Angel Jimenez.

In a tightly packed field, 30 players are sitting at level par or better. Tom Lewis, the young amateur, failed to replicate his heroics of Thursday but remains at one under par. But his efforts have been overshadowed by the demise of the world's top two and other leading contenders including Graeme McDowell, ranked No9, from Northern Ireland.

Donald said he "couldn't get the feel" of the Royal St George's greens, a rare admission from someone with such a renowned short game. "I believe in my ability but for whatever reason it is not happening," said an exasperated Donald. "I feel like I have tried everything; I've been playing 10 years and played countless majors and come close a couple of times but I have to figure out a way to contend a bit more. I have to figure out a better way to play the Open. I have to do a better job of adapting to conditions on the day."

Donald has just one top-10 Open finish to his name in a decade and has missed the cut five times during that period.

Westwood, whom Donald replaced at the top of the pile, opted not to face the media after his second round. The 38-year-old three-putted three times on Friday, the latest example of how troubles on the greens are undermining his attempts to end a major drought. One clear and extenuating circumstance for Westwood, on this occasion at least, was noticeably tough pin placements.

Nick Watney, the world No10, and Matt Kuchar, who is three places higher, complete the group of the top-ranked players who departed Kent earlier than expected.

McDowell offered a rather harsh critique of his mindset after signing for 77 on Friday. "I was ready for this tournament but by the time I walked off the first green on Thursday I wasn't ready any more, it's very frustrating," he said. "I've always enjoyed the mental side of the game but I wouldn't say I'm enjoying it so much right now because I'm a bit of a mental case out there. I need an attitude readjustment. I need to care a bit less about the game.

"My attitude has been pretty average the last two days, just not having a lot of belief or confidence in myself. You can't wait for the golf ball to make you feel happy because it ain't going to make you feel happy every day."

The Northern Irishman's premature exit from Sandwich continues an inconsistent 2011. He has failed to hit anything like the heights which saw him claim the US Open a year ago.

"I didn't set out in 2011 trying to eclipse 2010 but deep inside I know I can do it, so maybe I want it too badly," he said. "This is the Open. We are under pressure. We want to do well, maybe I've been trying a little too hard the last couple days."

A disastrous 78 led to Ian Poulter tumbling out of the tournament, as did former champion Ernie Els. Padraig Harrington had his attempt to claim a third Open title ended after 36 holes. The Irishman improved on his Thursday score of 73 by two shots but still missed out, on the same two-round total as Westwood.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment